Kelly Creates Lettering Book!

I was so excited to get my hands on the brand new Kelly Creates Lettering book!  I love learning from other letterers and was super curious to see what it looked like!  And I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.  I had the pens for a few weeks before this and I will share a few notes about those too. 


This book is great for the small and medium sized pens in Kelly's kit.  I think it be a little bit challenging to use the large pen on these drills.  One of the things I admire about Kelly's lettering is how neat and even it is - she is, in my opinion, the typewriter of hand letterers.  Her work is incredible even and neat!  It is so stunning!

 The book has all the basic penstrokes as warm ups!  Kelly provides her tips and tricks throughout the book and a little reassurance about wiggly upstrokes.  I like how the pen practice is laid out incredibly thoughtfully and with gradually more difficult pen movements. 

 Then, we get to the alphabet!  She does the upper and lowercase alphabet in this book and there is a ton of practice space!  Each page has three sets of tracing paper laid over the top so that you can practice with "messing up" the book.  And, if you use all of them, you could easily lay regular tracing paper over the top. With the binding at the top, it is also lefty friendly and you can move across the entire page without having to deal with the center of the book - a definite bonus for me! 
I do not like that the letters are not in alphabetical order.  They are arranged by type of pen stroke, which makes sense, but not my favorite! 

And, the pens!  I really liked the small pen.  It is flexible like the Tombow Soft nib, but had a lot more bounce to it.  I felt like it snapped back up and was less wiggly when trying to use it as a pen, instead of a brush pen.  The medium sized pen was similar and I find myself using it almost as much as the small pen.  In typical me fashion, I don't love the large pen.  The nib is VERY BIG and hard for my smaller writing to manage.  It has incredibly smooth ink and bends well, I just don't love it for my handwriting.

Overall, I am super impressed with Kelly's products and recommend them to anyone who wants to learn.  If you are a learn in person type of learner, come join me for another hand lettering class on April 8th!  Registration will open soon and I would love to see you. 

Now, go get crafty!
Lesley

Comments

Popular Posts