Spotlight on Design Team Amanda Hillard


Spotlight on All Things Bright and Colorful…
With Amanda Hillard

Right now, I love all things bright and colorful. The patterned papers that are available seem to really draw me in. When you want to use multiple papers on one layout you can easily overwhelm your photo, which is what we really want to highlight, not the paper. Here are a few things that I do that allow me to use all the fun papers without taking away from my pictures.



The first thing I do is look for a large design OR large pattern that I can fussy cut to create my own pattern. This allows me to use the fun papers only in a smaller way. In this example, I used the simple stories “Let’s Party” paper line. I loved the party boy and girl and wanted to use that for my background but needed something more. So, I used some circles and a party hat also from the ephemera pack, and accent stickers. And voila a fun layout to celebrate Oliver’s birthday.



Another technique is to use that journal tag sheet! I love pocket pages and that most companies have a page or two of pocket page size tags and journal cards. Even if you don’t create pocket pages, you can use theses great pages to create amazing layouts.  For this example, I used the Echo Park “Lucky Charm” papers. I wanted to make sure that my photo was the highlight of the layout but really wanted to use all the fun patterned papers and bright cards/tags. So, I cut out my favorite tags/cards. I then grabbed a white sheet of cardstock and began to move the cards around on the page until I liked they layout. I then added a bit of patterned paper and a few stickers. And voila, a bright, fun, and colorful layout that perfectly highlights the fun photo!




Turn on that Silhouette Cameo or other die cut machine! I invested in a good machine and cut files, but often forget to use them. So, lately I have made sure to turn my machine on and think – what can I add to my layout that is using my machine? OR when I am stuck, I peruse my collection of cut files and look for something fun. In this layout, I used the We R Memory Keepers “Flower Girl” line. I just love all the bright fun papers, but felt that they overwhelmed my less than stellar picture and was stuck. I then pulled up my silhouette software and saw this fun pineapple shape and thought, “That would be fun!” I cut out 3 pineapples, backed them with the fun patterned papers, added some stickers and ephemera and voila – a super fun, bright and colorful layout!

I hope this helps you to start using more of those bright and colorful patterned papers that catch your eye! 
Amanda

Comments

Popular Posts