Uncover your creativity!

“That’s beautiful, but I can’t do that!”

How many of you pin lots of cute, do-able ideas onto boards via Pinterest, accumulate ideas in a notebook, or save ideas from books and magazines.  I was always on the hunt for the right project for some unknown event.  I would buy and collect supplies for future “have to do” projects.  I often found that when I needed a card for a birthday or event I would freeze and choke. I never got around to making those beautiful handmade Christmas tags that I had been dreaming of about since June.  That is usually when I would tear off to the store and buy a card or gift bag that I could have made…intended to make, but didn’t.  The only things missing were the time and the confidence to make those projects.

Then one year I decided to jump out of my comfort zone and just do something about it!  I kept a notebook, with the photos and notes on the projects I wanted to work on. An art journal or notebook is a great resource when you need a quick project idea or inspiration.   I joined a card swap…talk about pressure!!!  Card swaps with challenges get you to see and do things differently.  I took more classes, all kinds of classes.  Then something wonderful happened…I was doing and creating, without that old feeling of dread!  I was secretly proud of my accomplishments.  My little collection of projects inspired me to try different techniques, use different materials and to most importantly make the time to create.  Setting aside a few minutes every week to gather up and lay out the supplies you will need for your next project will save lots of time.  When you want to sit down and work, you won’t have to waste time looking for things.

Don’t get me wrong…I still have a list of projects waiting to come to life.  But now, I am more productive. I try to find ways to accomplish things instead of reasons why I can’t.   Basically, the only thing that really changed was my mind set.  I am still in awe of all the people and projects that have inspired me… that will never change.  But now I am not as overwhelmed and more likely to complete projects and move on to the next.

I think creativity isn’t so much a quality we possess, but a journey we decide to take.


Happy Crafting,
City Chick Margaret

Comments

Popular Posts