Mixed Views

When Anderson was born one of the decisions I wanted to thoughtfully make was how to do his scrapbook.  It seems silly, but I knew that it was important to me and it needed to be maintainable.  I inherited MANY boxes of photos of my childhood that I scrapbooked and I didn’t want that for my kids. 
When I scrapbooked my own childhood, I did exclusively 12x12 layouts.  When I scrapbooked my life as an adult, I did exclusively Project Life.  I really enjoyed both types of scrapping, but found that I got creative fatigue after a while.  For me, the pro’s of a 12x12 layout is really getting to highlight a memory and tell a story in great detail.  However, I know that I have taken thousands of pictures of my sweet boy and there is no way that I can scrap all of that.  The Project Life/pocket pages allow me to use more pictures to highlight the special moments and the everyday stuff that I would not have made into a 12x12.  I don’t like, however, how sometimes it feels like everything is equal and I don’t get to isolate certain events. 
So, I did what any good scrapper would do – I decided to do it all!  My album is a combination of 12x12 and pocket pages and I love the way it looks.  I feel like my eyes don’t get tired looking at it and I have the ability to include so many more pictures than if I was just making a 12x12 layout album.  The balance is really unique when the pages are split.
This style does require a bit of planning and this is how I do it! I print pictures, about 3 months worth at a time. Three months is enough to feel like I don’t have to do it all the time, without being an overwhelming quantity of prints.  Often, I print pictures in a whole size and a half size print using Picasa (a free picture editing software that is really easy to use). 


My prints from Walgreens…
After retrieving my loot from Walgreens, I cut half size pictures into two and I sort the pictures and label them with a sticky note with any details and a date.  Then, I sort my pictures into their pocket pages or 12x12 pages.  I leave the sticky note with the picture to help my brain when it is time to embellish.  I scrap chronologically so I do my best to get everything relatively in order.  I go ahead and do this at home so it doesn’t take up my scrapping time when I am out of the house!  This is also when I decide which pictures to make into 12x12 layouts and which ones are just going in pocket pages.

Half page pocket (6x12) on the left and a 12x12 layout on the right, with a pocket page behind.
 
A 12x12 layout and a pocket page waiting to be scrapped.

A 12x12 layout and a pocket page.  Also, extra memorabilia, like Anderson’s March Madness Bracket is included.
I also include 8.5x11 pages occasionally.  I love adding an occasional different size page because it makes me think very carefully about how I do my layout.  The size difference is small not that much, but it makes a huge difference in making a page look over crowded!  When it is all said and done, my album is visually interesting and unique.  I love the way it turns out!  Check out a few spreads…
First Bath Pictures with a feature layout with one of my favorite pictures.

A Pocket page and a 8.5x11 layout spread

A 12x12 layout and pocket page

Comments

Popular Posts